Vail Resorts: Contracts Counsel (Vail, CO)
The Contracts Counsel will have primary responsibility for the Company’s Contracts and Leasing group. In addition to solid contract negotiation and drafting skills, the ideal candidate will have experience managing and supervising a team. Under the direction of an Assistant General Counsel, the Contracts Counsel will supervise and manage the members of the Contracts and Leasing Group draft, review and negotiate a wide variety of Company leases and contracts and be responsible for the development of templates and forms, and for contract policies, procedures and systems. Emphasis will be placed on proactive, value-added participation in all aspects of Company Contracts and Leasing, support of the Company and collaboration with other attorneys in the Legal Department. The Contracts Counsel will need to become familiar with all aspects of the Company’s operations and will interact with Company employees at all levels, as well as outside vendors and other third parties.
· Negotiate, draft, review and analyze a wide variety of Company commercial contracts, including construction contracts, easements, and software licensing, operating, event, equipment purchase and sale, service, consulting, and group sales agreements
· Negotiate, draft, review and analyze and prepare all types of commercial leases (as both landlord and tenant), lease amendments, renewals, all lease related agreements and development of approved lease forms.
· Work with the departments and divisions of the Company, including the retail, development, resort and corporate divisions to understand Company operations and objectives and to provide effective and value-added contract development and negotiation.
· Manage and supervise the paralegals and other staff in the Contracts and Leasing group including hiring, performance management, review and supervision of work.
· Develop, review and revise contract policies, processes and systems, lease forms and contract templates and forms.
· Provide broad contract and leasing support to Company management and other attorneys, including review and interpretation of existing contracts and leases, contract and lease enforcement and minor dispute resolution.
· Conduct the affairs of the Contracts and Leasing Group with an eye towards appropriate risk analysis and mitigation and operational efficiency.
· Work collaboratively and professionally with all members of the Legal Department, business unit staff, and outside vendors/suppliers/third parties
· Adhere to and support standards and goals of Corporate Legal Department
· Other duties as assigned
· Bachelor’s degree required
· JD from top tier accredited law school
· Minimum 5 years experience in a corporate or law firm setting working on a large volume of contracts or transactions, preferably reviewing and drafting a variety of agreements
· Experience and familiarity working with contract and contract policy and process development
· Experience and familiarity with a wide variety of commercial leases for landlord and tenant
· Minimum 3 years managing and supervising employees, preferably attorneys or paralegals involved in contracts or transactional work
· Active bar license, CO preferred
· High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
· Ability to learn and work with new software systems
· Clear and concise oral and written English language communication skills required, including proper grammar and e-mail etiquette
· Ability to follow verbal and/or written instructions
· Ability to work under high pressure conditions and to successfully handle stressful situations efficiently, professionally and effectively
· Ability to establish and maintain effective and professional working relationships with co-workers, subordinates, in-house attorneys, and members of the various business units
· Must be able to effectively and pro-actively supervise employees, foster a positive and productive team dynamic and handle a variety of performance management issues
· Must be able to explain and interpret contract terms and conditions in order to provide advice and interpretation that is both practical and legally acceptable, taking into account the needs and objectives of the business
· Must have a passion for promoting a positive, productive culture that furthers the company mission of “experience of a lifetime”
· Strong interpersonal skills and customer service orientation
· Detail oriented, with a high degree of follow-through
· Strong organizational and time management skills
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team
· Ability to combine a sense of urgency with patience and diplomacy
· Ability to adapt and work well with a variety of personalities
Please apply by visiting our career site, www.jobs.vailresorts.com. The direct link for this role is: https://performancemanager4.successfactors.com/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=1821&company=Vail&username=