U.S. House of Representatives: Fellowship Opportunity
A senior Democrat from the Midwest is seeking a fellow for the Washington, DC office. The Fellow will assist the Legislative Director with immigrant advocacy, deportation policies and community and constituent services.
Agency Name: U.S. House of Representatives
Position Title: Immigration Fellow
Location: Washington, DC
Description of Responsibilities: The Fellow will work closely with the Legislative Director to help monitor the implementation of new removal policies and the application of prosecutorial discretion in individual immigration cases. The work will include intervention in meritorious discretion cases and working with government agencies to ensure that all worthy cases are properly considered for discretion.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Interviewing callers with inquiries regarding immigration issues and responding to such inquiries by providing immigration policy information, making referrals where appropriate and screening cases for possible intervention with executive agencies
- Identifying sensitive and/or emergency immigration cases that demand swift response
- Preparing official correspondence with regard to deportations, removal policies and individual case intervention
- Managing and tracking the progress of multiple cases
- Coordinating our deportation policy efforts and individual case interventions with attorneys, advocates and other allies
In addition to the above, the Fellow will be expected to conduct research, policy analysis, and assist with immigration policy development and messaging and other duties as assigned.
Experience: The Fellow must be familiar with immigration policies in general, including deportation and removal policies and practices. Must have excellent writing skills, organizational and client service skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities under pressure. Must have ability to remain calm and professional at all times. Spanish language proficiency strongly desired. Knowledge of Congress and Chicago ties are a plus.
Point of Contact: Please send a cover letter and resume to IllinoisDemFellow@mail.house.gov. No phone calls or walk-ins, please.