Temple University: Assistant University Counsel (Philadelphia, PA)
Temple University, an urban public research university with an international reach, has been creating knowledge, improving lives, and engaging the community for over 125 years. Temple’s superb faculty and broad curriculum of over 300 academic programs provide superior educational opportunities for talented and motivated students without regard to their status or station in life. That tradition of access and excellence has made Temple’s student body one of the most diverse in the nation. Temple’s Main Campus in Philadelphia is the primary site of more than $500 million in construction and renovation. Benefiting from an increasing number of students eager for an urban university experience, Temple has become an increasingly vibrant center of student life.
The Office of University Counsel provides legal counsel to the University, including all of its schools, departments, and units on a diverse range of issues, including government contracts and grants, research, intellectual property, technology transfer, tax and non-profit law, higher education law, privacy, safety and environmental law, compliance, fundraising, investments, construction, real estate, international programs and relationships, and general business transactions.
• Handle a wide array of contractual matters with a particular focus on research, technology licensing, and intellectual property.
• Review and draft license and research agreements, and advise Research Administration, the Office of Technology Development, and other applicable departments regarding intellectual property matters.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• JD from accredited law school with high academic achievement and 3-6 years experience in handling intellectual property and/or research matters.
• Admission to at least one state bar with ability to become licensed or eligible for admission to the Pennsylvania Bar within one (1) year of notification of employment.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Recent professional writing sample.
• Demonstrated experience drafting, negotiating, and reviewing research, licenses, and other agreements.
• Ability to advise administrative departments and academic units regarding transactional matters with a particular focus on research and intellectual property.
• Ability to counsel departments/units regarding review and interpretation of University policies and procedures.
• Ability to address a wide array of client needs responsively and respectfully, while exercising the highest level of judgment.
• Ability to prioritize and manage numerous disparate matters and clients in a timely manner through the application of diplomacy, interpersonal skills, and observation.
• Ability to maintain collegial and effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students, the public, and other employees of the Office of University Counsel.
• Ability to provide other legal services and assistance to the University as assigned by University Counsel.
• Ability to provide advice and legal counsel at or to an institution of higher education is highly desirable.
To apply for this position and view other Temple opportunities, please visit our Web site at www.temple.edu and click on Jobs@temple. Please reference TU-14812.
Temple University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to cultural diversity.