SVP, Business & Legal Affairs, Telemundo Media
Position: SVP, Business & Legal Affairs, Telemundo Media
Location: Miami, FL
Telemundo Media is a U.S. Spanish-language television network committed to broadcast unique and outstanding national and local entertainment, news and sports programming to the fast-growing U.S. Hispanic audience. Telemundo targets this growing and vibrant audience by delivering the best in Latino entertainment. The network’s schedule features a wide range of original programming, including novelas, talk shows, original sitcoms, sports and news, children’s programming, blockbuster movies, reality, entertainment and music programs. Telemundo Communications Group, Inc. is an operating subsidiary of NBCUniversal, the nation’s leading broadcast network and film. NBCUniversal is an equal opportunity employer.
NBC Universal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies. We develop, produce and market entertainment, news and information to a global market. NBC Universal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks.
• Serve as main counsel and strategic business partner to the Leadership team.
• Manage all business, legal and music affairs.
• Negotiate for unscripted and scripted programming development and production, program acquisitions, talent agreements, advertising/production integration deals and content licensing agreements.
• Develop and supervise creation of television programming development and production deal structures and documentation.
• Manage, train and mentor junior business affairs executives, attorneys and administrative staff.
• Maintain relationships with agencies, attorneys and other representatives in the entertainment community.
• Advise all key company departments involved in the development, production and distribution of content, including Programming, Production, Marketing, Promotion, Talent, Digital, etc.) in connection with complex business and legal matters.
• Draft, review, analyze and interpret an extensive range of agreements and other commercial contracts (including, but not limited to, third party service agreements, sales and marketing agreements, asset purchase agreements, promotional agreements, licenses, and intellectual property and software license agreements) and provide timely and thoughtful legal advice on potential risks and issues.
• Provide general advice and legal support to the business.
• Minimum 15 years combined television business affairs and legal affairs experience at a law firm and/or media company
• Extensive and in-depth knowledge of entertainment transactions and ability to operate independently with minimal supervision.
• Must be detail-oriented and possess superior drafting, negotiation, organizational and time management skills.
• Must be a self-starter, exhibit the ability to operate in a fast-paced environment, have a take charge attitude and be a quick study in all things television development and production.
• Ability to top-line issues for senior network executives on a daily basis and communicate in a clear, concise and succinct manner both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to develop highly effective and productive working relationships with senior network executives.
• Previously established relationships with key talent agencies, production companies, animation houses and entertainment lawyers.
• Significant management ability and experience vis-a-vis other attorneys and administrative staff.
• J.D. from accredited law school, demonstrated academic achievement and current bar membership in good standing.
• Demonstrated strategic negotiations skills.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the television industry and relationships therein.
• Good business judgment; strong business ethics.
• Team player, collaborative style, excellent interpersonal skills and able to establish effective relationships at all levels of the organization.
• Excellent communications skills, verbal and written.
• Ability to handle multiple projects; work well in a fast-paced, deadline intensive in-house environment.