Shell: Sr. Legal Counsel, Downstream/Chemicals (Houston, TX)
Legal Services provide legal advice, support and related services to Shell businesses, in a challenging global business environment. By identifying legal risks and considering alternative structures and strategies to accurately reflect commercial decisions, Legal Services further our business objectives and protect shareholder interests.
Shell Oil Company, including its consolidated companies and its share in equity companies, is one of America’s leading oil and natural gas producers, natural gas marketers, gasoline marketers and petrochemical manufacturers. Shell, a leading oil and gas producer in the deep water Gulf of Mexico, is a recognized pioneer in oil and gas exploration and production technology. Shell Oil Company is an affiliate of the Shell Group, which operates in over 110 countries and territories and employs more than 104,000 people.
At Shell our commitment is to satisfy the world’s need for energy with economically, socially and environmentally responsible solutions. We seek a high standard of performance, and understand that great ideas can change the world. If you want to work with a group of creative, ambitious and innovative professionals then you should consider Shell. We will provide you with the resources to put your ideas into action, worldwide opportunities to advance your career, and outstanding benefits and rewards that support your quality of life. Join us and let’s make a real difference together.
An opportunity to become part of a multi-lawyer global team providing legal support to the chemical business of one of the largest integrated energy companies in the world. The successful candidate will have exposure to a broad range of energy-related activities. This organization takes pride in its business principles and employee value proposition as well as its world class reputation. There is long term growth and earning potential associated with this opportunity.
Highlights of the opportunity:
• Become an energy lawyer for a highly profitable and growing business in the Americas, part of a global organization with one of the most recognized brands and the sixth largest chemicals business in the world whose US sales revenues exceed $11 billion;
• Work for a financially sound company with over 100 years of solid business performance;
• Work directly with business clients on a day-to-day basis;
• Work with highly experienced and collegial legal professionals from around the world, as well as professionals from other supporting functions such as external affairs, government relations, regulatory, compliance, human resources, finance;
• Become exposed to opportunities to advance into management of other lawyers or lead multi-disciplinary teams;
• Maintain a reasonable work/life balance, while enjoying a competitive salary and benefits package;
• Access to training opportunities in both legal/compliance, and other business skill areas such as negotiation, crisis management, and business regulatory compliance;
• Relocation assistance is available.
• Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
• JD is required
• Minimum 10 years of sophisticated commercial or transactional legal experience working on long term, high value and complex product sales, feedstock purchase, exchange, pipeline transportation, storage, industrial gas or processing agreements;
• Strong commercial, transactional and client advisory skills; experience in downstream energy business is beneficial and previous chemical industry experience preferred
• Candidate should have competitive credentials and related experience from corporate in-house, governmental, and/or leading law firm practice;
• Member in good standing of TX bar (or ability to acquire that status within 12 months);
• Confidence to make decisions in ambiguous circumstances without significant management oversight;
• Proven ability to prioritize time spent on particular matters by value and risk;
• Proven ability to defend difficult positions and achieve balance with commercial considerations;
• Proven ability to identify and mitigate commercial and legal risk;
• Willingness to mentor junior lawyers and legal professionals as needed;
• Global mindset and ability to work virtually with lawyers in other regions;
Areas of particular emphasis:
• Communication skills both written and verbal.
• Analytical skills with ability to creatively approach difficult or complex problems.
• Interpersonal and strong influencing skills – ability to work within a team effectively interacting with clients, peers and other service providers.
• Pragmatic attitude and business focus
The Shell Group offers an outstanding benefits package. No phone inquiries will be accepted.
Application Deadline: Friday 15 June 2012
Number of Vacancies: 1
In addition to the tasks outlined in this job description, you may be assigned other responsibilities as needed. The Royal Dutch/Shell Group of companies offers an outstanding benefits package. In order to be considered for this position, you must complete an online candidate profile. No phone inquiries will be accepted. Shell Companies in the U.S. are equal opportunity employers.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.