Senior Counsel – Workers’ Compensation
Location: Walnut Creek, California
Job ID: 807046
Duration: Full Time / Permanent
Senior Counsel – Workers’ Compensation
Travelers is hiring for Senior Counsel – Workers’ Compensation
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities.
That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
This position is responsible for providing high quality and cost-effective legal representation. Demonstrating superior knowledge and expertise in the Workers Compensation litigation process and provides excellent client service as part of a legal team. Responsible for independent, aggressive case handling with a resolution management focus. Candidates should possess 5 or more years or equivalent legal experience with Workers Compensation litigation experience.
PRIMARY DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITES:
• Litigates cases to verdict, demonstrating superior use of trial skills and techniques • Ability to independently handle a full to moderate caseload with moderate level of severity and complexity from case inception through trial/resolution • Works under the guidance of Senior Counsel in litigating complex and high exposure files • Conducts legal research as necessitated and supervises research projects delegated to Associate Counsel and paralegals • Independently drafts pleadings, motions, briefs, discovery and other file documents • Attends court events and other appointments independently • Learns and understands claim customers’ expectations and key department business goals and assists them in meeting those goals • Handles and actively seeks opportunities to become involved in special projects and on committees • Provides recommendations and case analysis to business partners on appropriate file handling strategy • Integrates legal support staff into case handling process • Builds and maintains superior internal and external client relationships • Completes all required administrative tasks including time reporting, closed cases, reports and other materials appropriate to performance of job duties • Effectively makes use of technology and automation in the practice of law • Adheres to all standards of excellence in file management • Travels as required to meet business needs • Ability to mentor and train less experienced counsel and legal support staff • Provide advice and training to claim partners and clients
EDUCATION / COURSE OF STUDY: • Graduation from an accredited law school with a strong academic record • Successful completion of the bar and ethics examinations in the state(s) in which representation is required • Active license to practice law
• 5 or more years or equivalent Workers Compensation legal experience • Insurance litigation work exposure desirable • Demonstrated track record of trial skills and techniques
• Articulate presentation skills using technology • Strong and persuasive legal writing skills and oral advocacy skills • Ability to clearly and succinctly articulate position • Strong client and customer service skills
• Ability to effectively understand and utilize technology and automation resources, including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office Products, Voice Recognition Technology, West Law and other case management programs.
OTHER COMPETENCIES / SKILLS:
• Independent ability to analyze legal issues with minimal supervision • Appreciation for and commitment to delivery of high quality legal work • Works collaboratively with team members and others • Demonstrates desire to acquire effective trial skills with increased litigation complexity • Demonstrates superior legal acumen • Demonstrates personal commitment to professional development • Continued development of technical skills with a goal of handling the highest complexity/exposure MCU cases • Personal integrity and adherence to a high degree of professionalism and ethical competency • Strong research skills • Strong negotiation skills • Multi-tasking tolerance and success • Decision making and problem solving abilities • Sense of urgency/responsiveness • Strong desire to communicate timely and regularly to insured client and claims client Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We actively promote a drug-free workplace.
To apply for this position, please use the link given below: