Philips: Legal Counsel (Bethesda, MD)
Title: Legal Counsel
Requisition #: 018074
Organization: Shared Services
Location: Bethesda, MD
Philips is a diversified health and well-being company, whose innovation-led products ease and improve the quality of lives every day. We are a market leader in cardiac care, acute care and home healthcare products, energy efficient lighting solutions and new lighting applications, as well as lifestyle products for personal well-being and pleasure with strong leadership positions in male shaving and grooming, portable entertainment and oral healthcare. Philips is ranked as a top place to work in multiple geographies, employing more than 122,000 employees in more than 100 countries worldwide and achieved sales of $35 billion in 2011. www.philips.com
The Legal Function at Philips is responsible for defining the legal limits within which the Royal Philips Electronics group of companies can operate optimally. The main tasks of the Legal Function are to advise and assist the business operations in negotiating transactions and drafting the legal documents, to defend Philips against third party claims, as well as to initiate and support claims against third parties, to monitor the legal aspects connected with the structure of stock exchange-listed Royal Philips Electronics, and in general to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations throughout the Royal Philips Electronics group of companies. Compliance covers a wide scope of topics ranging from ethics, to anti-trust, export control and internal policies relating to hiring outside legal counsel.
The lawyers from Corporate Legal Department, the Sectors and the Country Organizations form the Philips Legal Function, operating in an integrated way as an internal law office consisting of approximately 175 lawyers world-wide. The Philips Legal Function maintains its high standard of professional competence, among other things, by actively encouraging lawyers to enhance and develop their legal and business skill by attending internal and external legal and business training and through internal tutoring, training seminars, meetings, work sessions, constant quality control and job rotation.
The successful candidate will be the lead in-house lawyer for the sale of healthcare, lighting, and consumer lifestyle products and services to all levels of government customers.
In addition, the lead lawyer will be expected to develop a working knowledge of Medicare fraud and abuse and other anti-kickback laws, corporate and healthcare specific ethics issues, and contractually driven general finance and accounting issues. This additional experience will ensure an integrated delivery of legal services with respect to the various types of products and services Philips sells to government entities and ensure that the successful candidate will provide strategic thinking and leadership to the various “Government Solutions” businesses.
He/she and be expected to lead and/or coordinate the legal and general corporate policy support in complex corporate and commercial transactions with limited supervision as well as work closely with business units to ensure that corporate policies align with the requirements of federal and state laws related to government contracts.
The key responsibilities of this lawyer include:
- Applying the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) and agency supplements to the award, administration, and close-out of federal contracts.
- Analyzing issues related to GSA Schedule contracts, including those administered by the VA.
- Advising businesses on state and federal grants, including government-funded research grants.
- Helping business units respond to federal audits.
- Ensuring Davis-Bacon and Service Contract Act compliance.
- Managing litigation, including bid protests, conducted by outside counsel.
- Promoting and managing of an internal compliance program relating to government contracts.
- Providing government contract training to sales and marketing personnel, proposal developers, and contract administrators.
- Providing guidance to other members of the Legal function on government contracts and related matters.
- Coordinating and facilitating corporate and business unit tasks when applicable to ensure compliance with Royal Philips and/or business specific policies and directives.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
- Law Degree from an ABA Accredited law school and be admitted to practice law in a state bar.
- 7- 10 years of experience in a law firm, government, or corporate legal organization.
- Working knowledge and meaningful experience in US Government procurement regulations and extensive background in acquisitions conducted by federal and state agencies including familiarity with the FAR as it applies to all stages of federal contracts.
- Demonstrated strong negotiation and drafting skills in complex corporate and commercial transactions.
- Experience with Buy American and Trade Agreements Act compliance, commercial item contracting, MBE/SBE/WBE subcontracting, cost-reimbursement contracting, and teaming agreements.
- Experience with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and similar anti-bribery/corruption laws a plus.
- Comfort with having to provide clear ethical guidance in all aspects of work to a global organization.
- Strategic thinker who can focus on providing the organization added value through efficiency and good business sense.
- Collegial, cooperative and an open person who enjoys being a team builder in a rapidly changing environment.
- Strong persuasive presentation and counseling skills.
Philips is an equal opportunity employer.