Peter M. Reyes, Jr. for HNBA Vice President of Sections and Committees
Dear HNBA Member:
I respectfully ask for your vote for the position of HNBA National Vice-President of Sections and Committees. I have the experience and proven results to qualify for your trust, to and I am more committed than ever to take the HNBA and in particular the HNBA’s Sections and Committees to the next level.
COMMITMENT AND PROVEN RESULTS: My commitment to the HNBA speaks for itself:
- I have been an active member of the HNBA Board of Governor’s since 2004, having attended nearly all of the meetings in-person.
- I served as the HNBA Regional President of Region XI (which includes Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa and Missouri) from 2004 – 2008.
- I had the honor of being recognized by my fellow HNBA members as the “HNBA Regional President of the Year” in 2007.
- I served as Chair of the HNBA Mid-Year Conference & Moot Court Competition in 2007. Until this year, the 2007 Conference was the most financially successful conference ever held.
- I currently serve as the HNBA National Vice-President of Regions, a position I have held since 2008. I have implemented monthly conference calls and increased participation in the HNBA by Regional Presidents and Affiliates.
- I am Chair of the HNBA 35th Annual Convention to be held in Minnesota this fall.
- I am working with representatives from various HNBA Sections and Committees in planning CLEs and programs for the Annual Convention, including the Commission on the Status of Latinas in the Profession (a stand-alone HNBA Committee), the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Law Section, and the International Business Law Section, among others.
EXPERIENCE: Significantly, I have extensive experience on the HNBA Board, Executive Committee, and various HNBA Committees and Substantive Law Sections, including:
- Chair of the HNBA Audit Committee since 2007.
- The HNBA Corporate Advisory Board (later known as the In-House Section) from 2004-2005.
- The HNBA In-House Section in 2007-2009.
- The Executive Director Selection Committee in 2006.
- The Intellectual Property Law Section from 2008 – present.
- The International Law Business Section from 2008 – present.
- I represented the HNBA on the first-ever HNBA International Business Law panel at the ABA International Business Law Section in 2009.
GOALS: As your National Vice-President of Sections and Committees I will bring the same passion to that role as I have to the HNBA over the past six years as Regional President, VP of Regions, and an active member of various HNBA Sections and Committees. Among other activities, I will do the following:
- Increase participation in HNBA Substantive Law Sections and Committees.
- Enhance Section and Committee programming to develop new and stronger CLE and Professional Development Programs.
- Utilize the HNBA Sections and Committee Structure to Increase Job and Business Opportunities for HNBA Members.
- Improve communications about HNBA Sections and Committees to the membership and public.
BACKGROUND: I was the first one in my family of Mexican immigrants blessed with the opportunity to go to and graduate from college, and my family stressed the importance of giving back to our community. As a result, I have dedicated myself in my professional career to addressing issues that affect the Latino Community as an active member and leader.
I have been involved in a number of community and Latino organizations. For example, I have served on the Board of the Neighborhood Justice Center, a nonprofit organization providing legal services to low income people, and particularly people of color, since 2001 to the present. I organized and formed the Cargill Hispanic-Latino Council in 2005-2007, and served as its first President from 2007-2009. I served as President of the Minnesota Hispanic Bar Association (an HNBA Affiliate) from 2000-2003. And I regularly talk to Latino High School students to encourage them to continue with their education.
PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND: I am a member of the bar in good standing and licensed to practice in the state and federal courts of Minnesota (1997) as well as the United States Patent and Trademark Office (2000). I obtained a B.A. in Chemistry from the University of St. Thomas and my law degree cum laude from William Mitchell College of Law. I clerked for the Honorable Salvador M. Rosas from 1996 – 1997, worked as an Associate at the law firm of Robins, Kaplan Miller & Ciresi form 1997-2001, and am currently a Senior Intellectual Property Lawyer at Cargill, Inc.
SUMMARY: I have the experience, passion and proven results to be an effective HNBA Vice-President of Sections and Committees and respectfully ask for your vote. You can call me at 952-742-5395 or e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org at any time to discuss my candidacy.
A sus órdenes,
Peter M. Reyes, Jr.