MTA METRO-NORTH RAILROAD- LABOR RELATIONS REPRESENTATIVE
LABOR RELATIONS REPRESENTATIVE
Location: Manhattan – Midtown
Job ID #: 78824
Salary Range: Min: $ 57,226 / Mid: $71,533 / Max: $ 85,840
Application Deadline: 1/12/2014
Playing a vital role in the economy of New York State and Connecticut, Metro-North Railroad, a subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA), is the busiest commuter railroad in the nation with an annual ridership of over 82 million. A dynamic organization with a strong focus on customer service, safety, and new technologies, Metro-North employs approximately 5,900 people. Operating out of its home base in New York City’s historic Grand Central Terminal, the railroad’s three lines serve 120 stations in seven counties in New York and two counties in Connecticut. In 2011, Metro-North received the prestigious International Brunel Award for Overall Excellence in Railroad Design, recognizing its continuing work as a more efficient operation, its commitment to sustainability, and its focus on providing excellent customer service. Metro-North was the first American railroad to win this coveted award in its 26-year history. The competition is open to all passenger and freight railroads in the world. Metro-North has a reputation for rewarding employee resourcefulness and innovation, and offers excellent job opportunities in a challenging and diverse environment.
- Assist in the administration of labor agreements to protect the Company’s financial interests and prevent labor disputes. Provide interpretation and application of labor agreements in support of department and Metro-North corporate goals.
- Arrange, attend and participate in monthly conferences with union representatives to discuss grievance and discipline appeals; review claims, grievances and discipline transcripts to discuss at meeting; prepare letters of decision to Union General Chairman.
- Answer telephone inquiries and written requests from line management regarding the application or interpretation of labor agreements.
- Respond to correspondence from outside agencies, employees.
- Prepare briefs, review discipline and grievance records for arbitration.
- Act as Company advocate at arbitration hearings.
- Meet with supervisors and managers of other departments to discuss labor issues and implications and application of various rules of the agreements.
- Working knowledge of federal and state employment and labor laws.
- Working knowledge of mediation techniques.
- Familiarity with the interpretation and application of FMLA and ADA.
- Strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with all levels in the Company and external contacts.
- Working knowledge of collective bargaining agreements, arbitration procedures and the ability to analyze labor issues and apply the agreements to those issues.
- Must be able to conform to specific time limitations and deadlines.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and/or comparable applications.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial/Labor Relations or related field.
- Minimum two years’ experience in Labor Relations, Labor contract administration including grievance handling and the presentation of arbitration cases.
- A Law degree or Master’s degree may be substituted for experience.
- Law Degree.
- Master’s degree in Industrial/Labor relations or related major.
To be selected for a position, an applicant must: (1) meet the minimum requirements in the job posting, (2) satisfy a background investigation (which includes credit, if applicable), and (3) pass an oral interview, during which the interviewers will further evaluate the applicant’s qualifications for the position. Because the selection process is competitive, not all qualified applicants are granted an interview. If the Company extends a conditional offer to an applicant, it may require him/ her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
Those interested in this excellent opportunity please apply in confidence directly at http://www.mta.info/mta/employment/ and search for Job ID 78824
MTA Metro-North Railroad is an Equal Opportunity Employer