MTA Metro-North – Associate Counsel Position
347 Madison Ave.
New York, NY 10017
Playing a vital role in the economy of New York State and Connecticut, Metro-North Railroad, a subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA), is the busiest commuter railroad in the nation with an annual ridership of over 82 million. A dynamic organization with a strong focus on customer service, safety, and new technologies, Metro-North employs approximately 5,900 people. Operating out of its home base in New York City’s historic Grand Central Terminal, the railroad’s three lines serve 120 stations in seven counties in New York and two counties in Connecticut. In 2011, Metro-North received the prestigious International Brunel Award for Overall Excellence in Railroad Design, recognizing its continuing work as a more efficient operation, its commitment to sustainability, and its focus on providing excellent customer service. Metro-North was the first American railroad to win this coveted award in the award’s 26-year history. The competition is open to all passenger and freight railroads in the world. Metro-North has a reputation for rewarding employee resourcefulness and innovation, and offers excellent job opportunities in a challenging and diverse environment.
POSITION OBJECTIVE: Represent and defend Metro-North in federal and state court and before administrative agencies, focusing on labor and employment law; provide legal advice and counsel to employees concerning labor and employment law; supervise and assist outside counsel.
- Litigate before local, state and federal administrative agencies and courts.
- Provide legal advice and guidance to internal Metro-North departments.
- Oversee regulatory compliance and filings on EEO and other matters.
- Supervise and assist outside counsel.
- Represent Metro-North’s interest in miscellaneous litigation and non-litigation matters.
- Litigation experience, with a substantive background in labor and employment law (e.g., federal, state and local EEO laws, FMLA, ADEA, ADA) and strong research, writing, and analytical skills.
- Effective negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to function independently, conform to specific time limitations and deadlines, and prioritize and manage varied caseload.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with all personnel levels within Metro-North and with external contacts.
- Demonstrated research and writing skills, including command of computer-based research tools, e.g., LexisNexis®.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and/or comparable applications.
- Admission to the New York bar and “good-standing” status.
- Minimum three years of litigation experience with demonstrated facility in all phases of litigation, including preparing pleadings, conducting discovery, and making dispositive motions.
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Litigation experience in representing railroads, airlines or other transportation providers.
- Litigation experience involving the Railway Labor Act and the Federal Rail Safety Act.
- Admission to the Connecticut bar and “good- standing” status.
To be selected for a position, an applicant must: (1) meet the minimum requirements in the job posting, (2) satisfy a background investigation (which includes credit, if applicable), and (3) pass an oral interview, during which the interviewers will further evaluate the applicant’s qualifications for the position. Because the selection process is competitive, not all qualified applicants are granted an interview. If the Company extends a conditional offer to an applicant, it may require him/ her to undergo a medical examination. We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
TO APPLY & SEE FULL JOB DESCRIPTION:
Please visit us at http://www.mta.info/mta/employment/
All Applicants must apply online to be considered. Metro-North no longer accepts paper copies of resumes.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is an Equal Opportunity Employer.