Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) – Hearing Officer Position
Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA)
Grade: G Salary Range:
Playing a vital role in the economy of New York State and Connecticut, Metro-North Railroad, a subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA), is the busiest commuter railroad in the nation with an annual ridership of over 82 million. A dynamic organization with a strong focus on customer service, safety, and new technologies, Metro-North employs approximately 5,900 people. Operating out of its home base in New York City’s historic Grand Central Terminal, the railroad’s three lines serve 120 stations in seven counties in New York and two counties in Connecticut. In 2011, Metro-North received the prestigious International Brunel Award for Overall Excellence in Railroad Design, recognizing its continuing work as a more efficient operation, its commitment to sustainability, and its focus on providing excellent customer service. Metro-North was the first American railroad to win this coveted award in its 26-year history. The competition is open to all passenger and freight railroads in the world. Metro-North has a reputation for rewarding employee resourcefulness and innovation, and offers excellent job opportunities in a challenging and diverse environment.
Assist in the administrative functions of the Operations Division pertaining to the contractual disciplinary process, with the primary responsibility of conducting the disciplinary investigations required by the collective bargaining agreements and Metro-North Railroad policies and procedures.
Direct and conduct all aspects of the Operations Divisions’ contractually mandated disciplinary process. This involves the following responsibilities:
• Make a pre-charge assessment of the necessity for disciplinary action.
• Draft or approve the draft of the disciplinary charges.
Review and approve all waivers of discipline.
• Schedule the disciplinary investigation and make all necessary arrangements and notifications.
• Authorize postponements of investigations.
• Ensure that witnesses are prepared and that all relevant documents and evidence are available and produced at the investigation.
• Conduct the disciplinary investigation.
• Make recommendation to charging department as to veracity of witnesses and the appropriateness of discipline.
• Ensure compliance with all contractual procedures and time limits.
• Provide support and assistance to the Senior Hearing Officer and Operations Division staff personnel.
• In depth working knowledge of Collective Bargaining Agreements as they relate to disciplinary procedures.
• In depth working knowledge of investigation, trial and/or hearing procedures.
• Excellent investigative and interviewing skills with the ability to remain composed under adverse situations.
• Good understanding of arbitration process.
• Excellent analytical, oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with all levels in the Company and union officials.
• Excellent reasoning and negotiation skills.
• Knowledge of standard safety policies and procedures.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and/or comparable applications.
• Must be available to be on call 24/7 as required.
• Must have a valid Driver’s license.
• In depth knowledge of Metro-North Railroad’s Collective Bargaining Agreements.
• In depth knowledge of Metro-North Railroad’s Operating Manual and General Safety Instructions.
• Knowledge of an integrated financial system, preferably PeopleSoft.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Labor Relations, Industrial Relations Transportation, Public Administration and/or related field.
• Demonstrated equivalent experience, education and/or technical credentials may be considered in lieu of degree.
• Seven (7) years of experience in an Industrial/ Labor Relations environment which includes conducting hearings, trials
and/or investigations of disciplinary actions.
• Experience in an Operation environment as a manager or supervisor, which includes experience in conducting hearings, trials and/or investigations of disciplinary actions.
This is a safety sensitive position and subject to toxicological testing.
To be selected for a position, an applicant must: (1) meet the minimum requirements in the job posting, (2) satisfy a background investigation (which includes credit, if applicable), and (3) pass an oral interview, during which the interviewers will further evaluate the applicant’s qualifications for the position. Because the selection process is competitive, not all qualified applicants are granted an interview. If the Company extends a conditional offer to an applicant, it may require him/ her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
TO APPLY & SEE FULL JOB DESCRIPTION:
Please visit us at http://www.mta.info/mta/employment/
All Applicants must apply online to be considered. Metro-North no longer accepts paper copies of resumes.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is an Equal Opportunity Employer.