Metra: Senior Attorney — Litigation
Senior Attorney Litigation
Summary of Duties:
Reporting directly to the General Counsel and the Senior Director, Litigation, represents Metra in legal actions in State and Federal courts, primarily in Civil Rights, FELA, and Personal Injury matters. Defends and prosecutes assigned litigation files, both individually and on assigned litigation teams. Responds to internal requests for legal opinions. May supervise and train attorneys and paralegals in litigation functions. Coordinates investigation and settlement with Risk Management Department. Advises other departments on legal matters. Oversees any lawsuit, as assigned. Performs other related duties as assigned to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
- Must possess a J.D. Degree.
- Must have a minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible litigation experience.
- Must have been the primary attorney responsible for lawsuits involving FELA, railroad crossing accidents, personal injury litigation or related experience, and have favorable results on dispositive motions.
- First chair in at least five (5) jury trials to verdict in high exposure cases (e.g. wrongful death; serious bodily injury), and have attained favorable verdicts.
- Must have at least ten (10) jury trials to verdict and favorable results.
- Must have appellate experience.
- Must possess all appropriate licenses and certifications (Illinois Supreme Court of U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois).
- Must be eligible for admission to the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Court and for certification from the Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar.
- Must have good organizational skills and familiarity with computer based legal research plus Corel WordPerfect and/or Microsoft Word.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
All employees are responsible for performing his/her job safely, and in accordance with the safety objectives, goals and program of the organization, ensuring compliance with applicable safety rules and regulations.
Other Important Information:
- Subject to a physical examination/drug test and background check to verify information regarding education, employment history, vehicle and criminal history.
- Only resumes with salary history will be considered.
- Only qualified candidates will receive consideration.
- Relocation is not available for this position.
Metra is one of the largest commuter rail systems in North America and provides commuter rail service between the downtown Chicago business district and 240 stations in Northeastern Illinois over 11 routes totaling about 500 route miles. Metra operates 700 weekday trains, providing more than 300,000 passenger trips a day. Our goal is a diverse workplace that is highly productive, dignified and team-oriented.
We offer paid holidays and vacation/sick days, medical, dental and life insurance; tuition assistance reimbursement; and a railroad retirement plan.
If you are interested in applying for a position at Metra, please send your cover letter which must include the position title, your resume and salary history to:
Metra is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is our policy to fill vacant positions with qualified candidates without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, or disability, assuming an individual can perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation.
Metra / 547 W. Jackson Blvd. / Chicago, IL 60661