Managing Director, Accreditation and Legal Education
Request for Assistance:
ABA Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar
Search for Managing Director, Accreditation and Legal Education
The Council of the Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar, the national accreditation agency for law schools, is undertaking a search for a position which will be titled Managing Director, Accreditation and Legal Education, for the American Bar Association. The position responsibilities will include those traditionally undertaken by the Legal Education Section’s Consultant on Legal Education – the provision of leadership and strategic direction for legal education and admission to the bar, and will include overall management and support of the accreditation process as well as support for the activities of the Legal Education Section, primarily through oversight of the Section’s staff director.
The Council is reaching out to a broad audience for candidate suggestions. This is a critical time in legal education, and this is a challenging position. Who would want to take on something of this magnitude? Presumably, someone with a deep commitment to our profession and to legal education, who given the right platform, believes he or she can make a difference.
The Legal Education Section requests members of our Diversity Center entities and other ABA entities endeavoring to increase inclusion in our profession, to let us know of people who should be considered for this position. If you know of someone who might be willing to make that difference, with the qualifications described below, we ask that those names be shared with the Section’s Search Consultant, Young Mayden, LLC (Barbara Mayden at email@example.com).
- Significant administrative leadership and management experience, including successful management of day-to-day operations, demonstrated ability to resolve problems, and demonstrated record of sustaining a cooperative, collaborative,and collegial organizational environment.
- Broad knowledge of the legal profession and legal education.
- Demonstrated record of sound judgment, honesty and integrity in upholding and advancing the ideals of the legal profession; demonstrated tolerance for differing opinions and respect for those who hold them.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with and build consensus among multi-faceted constituencies.
- Demonstrated record of addressing the needs, interests and concerns of diverse groups.
- Other advanced degrees in a relevant discipline (e.g., M.B.A.) are helpful.
- Experience working with the Section, as well as exposure to various ABA entities.
- Administrative experience in higher education or an academic setting.
- Experience developing budgets and effective management of fiscal resources.
- Direct knowledge of and/or experience with professional accreditation.
- Applicants with experience as a law school dean, a member of the judicial branch, practicing attorneys with experience in higher education administration, and/or those with similar experience, are encouraged to apply.
Compensation will be competitive with the salaries of deans of ABA approved law schools.
The ABA is an equal opportunity employer.