Illinois Student Assistance Commission
Established in 1957, the mission of the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) is to help make college accessible and affordable for Illinois students through administration of need-based grant and scholarship programs, outreach efforts across the state and by offering College Illinois!®, the state’s 529 prepaid tuition plan. The Commission has distributed more than $10.4 billion in grants, scholarships and non-loan aid to over 4.8 million Illinois students and families.
ISAC has an immediate opening for a General Counsel. Reporting to the Executive Director, and serving as an integral member of the senior management team, the General Counsel will be responsible for managing the agency’s legal department and providing advice and counsel to staff on legal matters pertaining to the agency. This position will have a dotted line to the Commission Board.
ISAC’s General Counsel will serve as the agency’s Chief Compliance Officer, and Ethics Officer, as well as a liaison with other executive and legislative branch counsels. This position will manage outside legal and related vendor relationships. The General Counsel will oversee agency responses to FOIA requests, as well as agency contractual matters, and will research, draft, or assist in analyzing legislation and administrative rules, as needed.
- Juris Doctor from a law school approved for accreditation by the American Bar Association
- Member in good standing of the Bar in the State of Illinois
- Eligible to practice law in the State of Illinois
- Senior-level legal experience in a law firm, government agency, corporation, or comparable entity
Ideal candidate will also possess the following knowledge and/or experience:
- General Counsel or Deputy General Counsel in a state agency
- Demonstrated capacity to deliver legal advice in a complex environment, involving an array of distinct constituencies
- Managed legal and other risk, while helping an organization deliver on its mission
- Familiarity with labor and employment laws
- Evidence of excellent written and oral communications skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to successfully gain the trust and confidence of the Executive Director, senior leadership team, and the Board of Commissioners
- Experience with Federal and Illinois state grants
We offer a competitive salary and an exceptional benefits package which includes health/dental/vision/life insurance, starting on the first day of employment; State Employees’ Retirement System; deferred compensation plan; flexible spending accounts; educational benefits and more. Please note that we are unable to pay travel and/or relocation expenses.
Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest and resume with salary requirements
via email by close of business Friday, November 15, 2013 to:
ISAC is an equal opportunity employer