Fannie Mae: Attorney Corporate III – Litigation
Attorney Corporate III – Litigation Job # 32362
Fannie Mae exists to expand affordable housing and bring global capital to local communities in order to serve the U.S. housing market. Today, our focus is on preventing foreclosures, making mortgages and rental housing as affordable as possible, and supporting the housing recovery. We are rapidly building and realigning our company to better serve the market as we support the Administration’s Homeowner Affordability and Stability Plan.
Join our dedicated, diverse, high-performing workforce and put your unique talents to good use as we work with our partners to advance our nation’s housing recovery.
For more information about Fannie Mae and our career opportunities, visit www.fanniemae.com.
Responsibilities include overseeing litigation and outside counsel, interacting with regulatory agencies, negotiating with counterparties, coordinating discovery (including electronic discovery), responding to government inquiries, and representing the company in connection with government investigations and proceedings. Successful candidates must be able to operate with considerable independence in consulting, advising, and representing the company on a variety of highly complex legal matters.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Set strategy and manage significant litigation matters and government investigations.
- Supervise and provide hands-on oversight and handling of outside counsel, experts and vendors on a variety of matters.
- Analyze business and legal risks associated with litigation matters, budget for litigation, and anticipate future litigation trends.
- Draft significant correspondence, pleadings, discovery responses and internal memoranda.
- Represent the company and its employees directly in meetings and inquiries with various third parties.
- Research important legal issues.
- Interact with regulatory agencies on a regular basis.
- Manage all aspects of discovery, including responding to discovery requests and subpoenas, document collections and privilege reviews.
- Provide practical and timely advice.
- Work closely with business units and outside counsel to help business units meet goals and resolve matters. Pursue details and achieve closure on various matters. Provide excellent client service.
- May plan, guide, and/or oversee the performance of in-house legal support staff.
- Juris Doctorate
- 5 years of related experience
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Substantial experience managing complex, high-value legal matters, including budgeting for such matters, for corporate clients, boards and/or C-suite executives.
- Experience representing corporations and their employees in connection with government subpoenas and investigations.
- Must have significant experience managing all aspects of discovery, including e-discovery and witness preparation.
- Five or more years of large law-firm experience preferred
- Knowledge of mortgage industry, including knowledge of mortgage fraud issues, and experience with securities, class actions and insurance/indemnification desired.
- Experience with risk assessment practices and the ability to provide practical advice to businesses to reduce risk.
- Must be detail-oriented and have excellent organizational skills. Project management skills desired.
- Must have excellent written and oral communications skills.
As a condition of employment with Fannie Mae, any successful job applicant will be required to pass a pre-employment drug screen and to successfully complete a background investigation, which may also include a credit check for positions in some areas of our business. For consideration please go to www.fanniemae.com/careers and search for job #32362
Fannie Mae is an Equal Opportunity Employer.