Equal Justice Works: Associate Director of Fellowships and Advancement (Washington, DC)
Associate Director of Fellowships and Advancement
The mission of Equal Justice Works is to create a just society by mobilizing the next generation of lawyers committed to equal justice.
Equal Justice Works is a recognized leader in the public interest law movement. Partnering with law schools, law firms, corporate legal departments and nonprofit organizations, Equal Justice Works offers law students and lawyers a chance to make a difference. From advocating for law school programs that instill public service values among students, to creating summer and postgraduate fellowships in public interest jobs, to addressing the staggering educational debt that keeps lawyers from going into public service, Equal Justice Works provides opportunities for the legal community to deliver on the promise of justice for all.
Equal Justice Works Fellowships is the largest postgraduate legal fellowship program in the United States. Every year, hundreds of law students graduate with a desire to work on behalf of underserved communities and causes and apply to Equal Justice Works for the opportunity to work for a nonprofit organization that has agreed to host the applicant if awarded a fellowship. This year Equal Justice Works funded 50 fellowships. In the next several years we hope to grow that number to 75.
For more information visit: www.equaljusticeworks.org, and please be sure to click on the following YouTube link for a video clip of a Fellow talking about her project: http://youtu.be/JRKuvDfehQQ.
This may be the best job in Washington, D.C., particularly if you passionately believe that the poorest and most vulnerable among us deserve the same access to justice as our more fortunate citizens.
The qualified applicant will have the opportunity to integrate strategic, collaborative, storytelling, management, and organizational skills. The applicant must possess a working knowledge of law firm and corporate culture and a desire to mobilize the next generation of public service lawyers committed to equal justice, as he/she undertakes to help Equal Justice Works expand its Fellowship opportunities. The applicant must have the capacity to prioritize among competing demands, be flexible and nimble when confronted with obstacles, and think outside the box.
- Work with the Development Director to create, implement and execute a strategy to renew and secure new multi-year fellowship commitments from the nation’s largest law firms and corporations;
- Foster, cultivate and maintain relationships with law firms and corporations;
- Collaborate with development and non-development staff to ensure successful selection of fellows by sponsoring law firms and corporations;
- Oversee and implement liaison efforts among fellows, law firms and corporations;
- Create narrative about Fellows and “user-friendly” marketing materials for use by sponsoring law firms and corporations;
- Work with Development Director to develop and implement a plan to increase support from individuals;
- Work with Development Director to establish annual performance metrics and conduct periodic assessments;
- Collaborate on Equal Justice Works marketing strategies;
- Communicate effectively within Equal Justice Works to ensure that relevant information is shared;
- Manage a donor portfolio (including West Coast);
- Supervise senior level staff with regional portfolios; and
- Work collaboratively with eight staff members responsible for generating approximately $8 million annually.
The Associate Director of Fellowships and Advancement reports to the Director of Development and will need to travel throughout the year.
- JD Degree, preferred;
- Seven (7) years relevant work experience Strong understanding of issues of social and legal justice;
- Demonstrated organizational expertise and management experience;
- Fundraising experience a plus;
- Ability to (or an analogous experience that would suggest an ability to) identify new prospects, manage and gain access to prospects and create and implement solicitation strategies;
- Ability to manage efficient and timely communication and acknowledgement systems;
- Ability to think strategically and analytically;
- Solid understanding of the private law sector;
- Law firm or other corporate experience, preferred;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills;
- High degree of self-motivation and determination, balanced with grace and political savvy.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The salary is commensurate with experience. Employees participate in Equal Justice Work’s standard health insurance, dental insurance, and flexible spending account plans, and life, accidental death and disability insurance policies. Leave includes 20 paid vacation days during the first year of employment, 10 days sick leave and two days of personal leave. Employees are eligible to participate in 403(b) retirement plan, and transportation fringe benefit program, and may apply to participate in Equal Justice Work’s loan repayment assistance plan, which currently provides up to $200 per month to offset educational debt payments.
Qualified applicants are invited to send a cover letter including salary requirement and a resume to: Faye Levin at email@example.com with the subject line “Associate Director Application.” Resumes will be reviewed as they are received. No telephone calls please.
Equal Justice Works is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental handicap, matriculation, or political affiliation.