Counsel – Workers’ Compensation (Orange, CA)
Job Id: 806140
Title: Counsel – Workers’ Compensation
Location: Orange, CA USA – 92828
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities.
That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Responsible for providing high quality and cost-effective workers’ compensation legal representation. Demonstrates superior knowledge and expertise in the litigation process and provides excellent client service as part of a legal team. Responsible for independent, aggressive case handling with a resolution management focus.
• Litigates cases to verdict, demonstrating superior use of trial skills and techniques
• Ability to independently handle a full to moderate caseload with moderate level of severity and complexity from case inception through trial/resolution
• Works under the guidance of Senior Counsel in litigating complex and high exposure files
• Conducts legal research as necessitated and supervises research projects delegated to Associate Counsel and paralegals
• Independently drafts pleadings, motions, briefs, discovery and other file documents
• Attends court events and other appointments independently
• Learns and understands claim customers expectations and key department business goals and assists them in meeting those goals
• Handles and actively seeks opportunities to become involved in special projects and on committees
• Provides recommendations and case analysis to business partners on appropriate file handling strategy
• Integrates legal support staff into case handling process
• Builds and maintains superior internal and external client relationships
• Completes all required administrative tasks including time reporting, closed cases, reports and other materials appropriate to performance of job duties
• Effectively makes use of technology and automation in the practice of law
• Adheres to all standards of excellence in file management
• Travels as required to meet business needs
• Ability to mentor and train less experienced counsel and legal support staff
• Provide advice and training to claim partners and clients
EDUCATION/COURSE OF STUDY:
• Graduation from an accredited law school with a strong academic record
• 2-7 years or equivalent legal experience
• Insurance litigation work exposure desirable
• Demonstrated track record of trial skills and techniques
• Successful completion of the bar and ethics examinations in the state(s) in which representation is required
• Active license to practice law.
• Articulate presentation skills using technology
• Strong and persuasive legal writing skills and oral advocacy skills
• Ability to clearly and succinctly articulate position
• Ability to effectively understand and utilize technology and automation resources, including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office Products, Voice Recognition Technology, and other law office management programs.
• Independent ability to analyze legal issues with minimal supervision
• Appreciation for and commitment to delivery of high quality legal work
• Works collaboratively with team members and others
• Demonstrates desire to acquire effective trial skills with increased litigation complexity
• Demonstrates superior legal acumen
• Demonstrates personal commitment to professional development
• Continued development of technical skills with a goal of handling the highest complexity/exposure MCU cases
• Personal integrity and adherence to a high degree of professionalism and ethical competency
• Strong research skills
• Strong negotiation skills
• Multi tasking tolerance and success
• Decision making and problem solving abilities
• Sense of urgency/responsiveness
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We actively promote a drug-free workplace.