Blue Cross Blue Shield: Associate General Counsel (Chicago, IL)
If working for a dynamic, progressive, forward-thinking organization sounds interesting, look to Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. For nearly 80 years, the Blue Cross Blue Shield brand has been an innovator in the ever-changing health care landscape. The Blue Cross Blue Shield Association (BCBSA) is the strategic leader behind 38 Blue Cross Blue Shield Plans – which provide health care coverage to nearly 100 million Americans. We now have an opportunity available at our downtown Chicago headquarters.
Responsible for assisting the Senior Associate General Counsel, this individual is part of the Legal Department that provides professional legal services to internal and external clients. Primary focus of this position is provision of legal and, where needed, litigation support to primary internal clients.
Internal Clients would include the following: Inter-Plan Programs, Inter-Plan Teleprocessing System (ITS), Information Technology, the Office of Clinical Affairs, Finance and Administration, Internal Procurement, and Human Resources. Additionally, the position provides business proposal and contract review for the Strategic Services and Business Development contracting efforts. Finally, the position serves as internal consultant and/or subject matter expert to provide advice or training to BCBSA and Plan personnel, as needed.
Required Basic Qualifications:
- A law degree, admission to a state bar.
- A minimum of three years’ legal practice experience.
- Experience in such fields as contracts, corporate law, HIPAA/privacy, litigation, and health insurance law.
Preferred Basic Qualifications:
- Proven ability in legal research, analysis and drafting.
- An awareness of the legal environment in which Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans and the Association operate.
- Strong organizational and quantitative skills as well as demonstrated ability in project and time management.
- Ability to maintain a strong presence in client meetings, while representing the Association’s interests through professional communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work with top management within the Association and the Blue Plans through a responsive client-oriented approach.
- Knowledge of administrative and antitrust law, ERISA, HIPAA/privacy law, health care reform, and corporate governance
We’re committed to each and every one of our 1000+ strategic thinkers that we employ – the best in the health insurance industry. We offer a dynamic work environment, competitive salaries, great benefits, work/family balance, a diverse workplace, and much more! Bring your skills and talents to an organization committed to providing the most advanced technology and services. If you are interested, please go to our website at www.bcbsa.jobs
Our offices are located at 225 N Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60611.