Auto and General Liability Major Case Senior Counsel at Travelers
Auto and General Liability Major Case Senior Counsel
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
This position is responsible for providing high quality and cost-effective legal representation.
- Demonstrating superior knowledge and expertise in the litigation process and provides excellent client service as part of a legal team.
- Responsible for independent, aggressive case handling with a resolution management focus.
- Candidates should possess 7-10 years or equivalent legal experience with Major Case litigation experience.
PRIMARY DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITES:
- Litigates cases to verdict, demonstrating superior use of trial skills and techniques
- Ability to independently handle a full to moderate caseload with moderate level of severity and complexity from case inception through trial/resolution
- Works under the guidance of Senior Counsel in litigating complex and high exposure files
- Conducts legal research as necessitated and supervises research projects delegated to Associate Counsel and paralegals
- Independently drafts pleadings, motions, briefs, discovery and other file documents
- Attends court events and other appointments independently
- Learns and understands claim customers expectations and key department business goals and assists them in meeting those goals
- Handles and actively seeks opportunities to become involved in special projects and on committees
- Provides recommendations and case analysis to business partners on appropriate file handling strategy
- Integrates legal support staff into case handling process
- Builds and maintains superior internal and external client relationships
- Completes all required administrative tasks including time reporting, closed cases, reports and other materials appropriate to performance of job duties
- Effectively makes use of technology and automation in the practice of law
- Adheres to all standards of excellence in file management
- Travels as required to meet business needs
- Ability to mentor and train less experienced counsel and legal support staff
- Provide advice and training to claim partners and clients
EDUCATION / COURSE OF STUDY:
- Graduation from an accredited law school with a strong academic record
- Successful completion of the bar and ethics examinations in the state(s) in which representation is required – Active license to practice law WORK
- 7-10 years or equivalent legal experience
- Major Case litigation experience
- Insurance litigation work exposure desirable
- Demonstrated track record of trial skills and techniques
- Articulate presentation skills using technology
- Strong and persuasive legal writing skills and oral advocacy skills
- Ability to clearly and succinctly articulate position
- Strong client and customer service skills
- Ability to effectively understand and utilize technology and automation resources, including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office Products, Voice Recognition Technology, West Law and other case management programs.
OTHER COMPETENCIES / SKILLS:
- Independent ability to analyze legal issues with minimal supervision
- Appreciation for and commitment to delivery of high quality legal work Works collaboratively with team members and others
- Demonstrates desire to acquire effective trial skills with increased litigation complexity
- Demonstrates superior legal acumen
- Demonstrates personal commitment to professional development
- Continued development of technical skills with a goal of handling the highest complexity/exposure MCU cases – Personal integrity and adherence to a high degree of professionalism and ethical competency
- Strong research skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- Multi tasking tolerance and success
- Decision making and problem solving abilities
- Sense of urgency/responsiveness
- Strong desire to communicate timely and regularly to insured client and claims client.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We actively promote a drug-free workplace.