ATTORNEY CORPORATE III – MORTGAGE FINANCE
ATTORNEY CORPORATE III – MORTGAGE FINANCE
Based in Washington, DC or Dallas, TX
Fannie Mae exists to expand affordable housing and bring global capital to local communities in order to serve the U.S. housing market. Today, our focus is on preventing foreclosures, making mortgages and rental housing as affordable as possible, and supporting the housing recovery. We are rapidly building and realigning our company to better serve the market as we support the Administration’s Homeowner Affordability and Stability Plan.
Join our dedicated, diverse, high-performing workforce and put your unique talents to good use as we work with our partners to advance our nation’s housing recovery.
For more information about Fannie Mae and our career opportunities, visit www.fanniemae.com.
Operate with considerable latitude in consulting, advising, and representing the company on a variety of highly complex legal matters and projects related to corporate law. Provide legal counsel to management on broad issues affecting the company. Ensure that legal documents regarding board meetings and motions, mergers or acquisitions, contracts, or other corporate actions are prepared properly. Confer with executives regarding corporate initiatives, product development, or regulatory concerns to assess legal risks to the company and plan actions to control or minimize those risks. May act as a subject area/technical expert, or key advisor on significant business or product decisions with or without management responsibilities. May manage a specific unit or specialist function. May directly manage in-house counsel, paralegals and legal support staff.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS
• May plan, guide, and/or oversee the performance of in-house counsel, team members, and/or legal support staff. Provide legal advice and service by combining skill in corporate law with sound business acumen and knowledge of business goals and objectives of the company or assigned business units.
• Engage with assigned business units to meet goals. Pursue details and achieve closure on various matters. Provide excellent client service.
• Use business and legal judgment to balance an appropriate level of risk against the business needs in a particular situation. Operate within the framework of allowable corporate behavior and governance, and legal and regulatory compliance.
• Supervise and actively direct outside counsel.
• Work closely with business clients and outside counsel to ensure adherence to important corporate and regulatory policies.
• Draft templates. Write documents. May draft comment letters. May analyze legislation that impacts the company and assist the company in responding to inquiries from Congress and government agencies.
• Prepare and manage a due diligence budget. Coordinate with internal departments to ensure proper tracking and accounting of legal due diligence expenses.
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent required
• JD required
• 8+ years of related experience
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
• Have mortgage finance experience and able to identify and negotiate, both internally and externally, on tough and possibly controversial issues.
• Able to interpret relevant regulations and contractual provisions and have the ability to engage in proactive, strategic thinking; the determination to pursue details and ensure that the highest standards of quality and accuracy are met; and the ability to consistently meet deadlines with outstanding work production.
• Ideal candidate will have experience with mortgage servicing and policy. Person will have first hand experience reviewing, drafting and negotiating policy and transaction documents.
• Demonstrate a high degree of confidence in making decisions and providing clients with advice in a fast-paced, dynamic and challenging environment.
• Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and able to work collaboratively and constructively with colleagues of all levels and in all roles throughout the company, as well as parties outside of the company.
As a condition of employment with Fannie Mae, any successful job applicant will be required to pass a pre-employment drug screen and to successfully complete a background investigation, which may also include a credit check for positions in some areas of our business.
Fannie Mae is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply online at: