Assistant General Counsel, MTA Bridges and Tunnels
Assistant General Counsel
Job ID: 78653
Location: Manhattan – Downtown
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Application Deadline: January 31, 2014 Job Title: Assistant General Counsel
Department/Division: Law Work Location: 2 Broadway
Earnings Potential: Min: $81,680 – Mid:$102,102
Assistant General Counsel functions under the supervision of the General Counsel, with latitude for discretion and independent judgment in providing legal advice, direction and representation in connection with the Authority Workers’ Compensation and General Liability Programs including, but not limited to, the following:
- Manage the Workers’ Compensation and Limited Duty Programs, including supervision of the Authority’s third-party administrator, outside Workers’ Compensation counsel and Authority staff.
- Provide legal advice and direction and coordinate Workers’ Compensation and Limited Duty matters with Operations, Human Resources, Labor Relations and Equal Employment Opportunity and other departments, which may involve statutory, contract and policy interpretations.
- Manage the Authority’s General Liability Program, including supervision of outside counsel, coordination with other MTA agencies with responsibility for defending the Authority’s interest in general liability matters and enforcement of contractual defense and indemnification rights against contractors.
- Manage the Authority’s restitution program and property damage claims processing, direct litigation and make settlement recommendations.
- Review subpoenas and Freedom of Information Law requests and determine compliance requirements and conduct litigation when necessary, coordinate document production and production of witnesses.
- Draft, formulate and review rules, regulations, policies and procedures and provide written legal opinions.
- Assist the Authority’s Assistant Secretary in preparing monthly minutes of Authority Committee and Board meetings.
- J.D. degree required from an accredited law school.
- Admission to the Bar in the State of New York.
- Four (4) years of recent full-time responsible, relevant and satisfactory legal experience subsequent to admission to the Bar with extensive experience in the management of Workers Compensation and General Liability Programs and knowledge of laws, rules and regulations related to Workers’ Compensation, Tort, Insurance, Civil Service, New York Labor Law §§200, 240, 241 and Public Officers-Freedom of Information Law.
How To Apply:
Please visit http://mta.info/mta/employment/ click on “Bridges and Tunnels”, then click on “Agree”, then check the box “Bridges and Tunnels” and finally, search for “Job ID: 78653, Assistant General Counsel.
MTA Bridges and Tunnels is an Equal Opportunity Employer