2011 Latina Commission Award Nomination Criteria and Application Requirements
PURPOSE OF THE AWARD
The HNBA Commission on the Status of Latinas in the Legal Profession is accepting nominations for the 2nd Annual Award.
In 1996 at the San Francisco Annual HNBA Convention, the HNBA premiered Las Primeras, a visual history of 21 of the first Latinas licensed to practice law in the United States. The purpose of the Award is to continue the tradition of recognizing and honoring Latina lawyer pioneers who left her own unique mark on the legal profession, by actively paving the road to success for the Latino community or other Latina lawyers. The Award also will recognize Latina lawyers who demonstrate excellence in a variety of professional settings and personify excellence on either the national, regional, or local level.Each year, this award will honor outstanding Latina lawyers nominated by the membership.
* The Latina is a pioneer in her field, OR
* The individual achieved professional excellence in her field;
* The Latina has a demonstrable record of contributing to or assisting members of her community; AND (at least one of the following):
* The Latina has influenced other Latinas to pursue legal careers
* The Latina has opened doors for Latina lawyers in a variety of job settings historically closed to them
* The Latina has advanced opportunities for Latinas within a practice area or segment of the profession
* The Latina has made significant contributions to the legal profession
* The Latina has made significant contributions to the Latino community as a direct result of her legal work.Nominees may be HNBA members or nonmembers.
NOMINATION APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
1. Nomination Form–Complete and submit the online nomination form.
2. Nominee’s Resume–Include the nominee’s resume or biography, describing her background and contributions.
3. Award Criteria Narrative–In no more than two typed pages, provide specific, concrete examples for one of the two mandatory criterion and at least one of the additional criteria detailed above.
4. Articles/Letters–In addition, you may submit up to 10 news or magazine articles written by or about the candidate and no more than five letters of support from individuals or organizations. If more than five letters are submitted, Commission staff will determine which letters will be included with the final nomination packet under consideration by Commission members.
1. The nomination form and your supporting materials constitute the SOLE basis for the nomination. Materials will not be returned.
2. The limitation on letters of support will be observed. If more than five letters are submitted, Commission staff will determine which letters will be included with the final nomination packet under consideration by Commission members.
3. Nominations can be submitted via email to Mónica MacGregor at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include in subject line “HNBA COMMISSION AWARD NOMINATION.”Articles can be submitted via live URL links or PDF files.
4. Current Commission members or liaisons are not eligible for the Award for the duration of their terms and for three years following service.
Nomination forms and all supporting materials must be sent via email to the Commission by the close of business on June 1, 2011.